Document Type : Case Report
Retired Professor of Stomatology and Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology of Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Craniomaxillofacial Research Center, Tehran Islamic Azad University of Medical Sciences, Dental Branch, Tehran, Iran.
Member of Craniomaxillofacial Research Center, Tehran Islamic Azad University of Medical Sciences, Dental Branch, Tehran, Iran.
Osteoblastoma is a solitary benign bone-forming neoplasm, which comprises 1% of all primary bone tumors. Multifocal benign osteoblastoma of the jaws is very rare. Osteoblastoma must be differentiated from other similar bone-forming lesions such as osteoid osteoma and osteosarcoma for correct diagnosis and proper treatment planning. Therefore, precise examination of the patient and correlation with radiographic and histological features are essential for the best treatment and prognosis. This study reports a rare case of multifocal osteoblastoma in a 30-year-old female, involving the mandible and the maxilla, which was treated by surgical excision, iliac bone graft reconstruction, and implantation. Complete surgical excision is necessary to treat osteoblastoma with a good prognosis. The patient was followed-up for four years postoperatively, and there were no signs of recurrence in the panoramic view or the clinical examination.
- Cekic B, Toslak IE, Yildirim S, Uyar R. Osteoblastoma originating from frontoethmoidal sinus causing personality disorders and superior gaze palsy. Niger J Clin Pract. 2016; 19: 153-155.
- Mardaleishvili K, Kakabadze Z, Machavariani A, Grdzelidze T, Kakabadze A, Sukhitashvili N, et al. Benign osteoblastoma of the mandible in a 12-year-old female: A case report. Oncol Lett. 2014; 8: 2691-2694.
- Vella O, Cuny F, Robard L, Bazille C. Osteoblastoma of the maxillary sinus in a child presenting with exophthalmos. Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis. 2016; 133: 277-279.
- Mahajan A, Kumar P, Desai K, Kaul RP. Osteoblastoma in the retromolar region- Report of an unusual case and Review of literature. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2013; 12: 338-340.
- Shah S, Kim JE, Huh KH, Yi WJ, Heo MS, Lee SS. Recurrent osteoblastoma of the maxilla. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2013; 42: 20100263.
- Kashikar S, Steinle M, Reich R, Freedman P. Epithelioid Multinodular Osteoblastoma of the Mandible: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Head Neck Pathol. 2016; 10: 182-187.
- Manjunatha BS, Sunit P, Amit M, Sanjiv S. Osteoblastoma of the jaws: report of a case and review of literature. Clin Pract. 2011; 1: e118.
- Britt JD, Murphey MD, Castle JT. Epithelioid osteoblastoma. Head Neck Pathol. 2012; 6: 451-454.
- Yang CY, Chen CF, Chen WM, Wu PK, Lee FT, Chen PCH, et al. Osteoblastoma in the region of the hip. J Chinese Med Assoc. 2013; 76: 115-120.
- D PV, Agarwal P, Gadewar D, Dube G, Dhirawni R. A large multifocal aggressive osteoblastoma of mandible: an immunohistochemistry case study report. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2014; 8: 51-55.
- Pontual ML, Pontual AA, Grempel RG, Campos LR, Costa Ade L, Godoy GP. Aggressive multilocular osteoblastoma in the mandible: a rare and difficult case to diagnose. Braz Dent J. 2014;25:451-456.
- Yu HW, Cho WI, Chung HR, Choi KH, Yun S, Cho HS, et al. Multiple osteoblastomas in a child with Cushing syndrome due to bilateral adrenal micronodular hyperplasias. Ann Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 21: 47-50.
- Asada Y, Suzuki I, Suzuki M, Fukushima M. Atypical multiple benign osteoblastomas accompanied by simple bone cysts. A case report. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1991; 19: 166-171.
- Kyriakos M, El-Khoury GY, McDonald DJ, Buckwalter JA, Sundaram M, DeYoung B, et al. Osteoblastomatosis of bone. A benign, multifocal osteoblastic lesion, distinct from osteoid osteoma and osteoblastoma, radiologically simulating a vascular tumor. Skeletal Radiol. 2007; 36: 237-247.
- Adler CP. Multifocal osteoblastoma of the hand. Skeletal Radiol. 2000; 29: 601-604.
- Quilez-Caballero E, Martel-Villagran J, Bueno-Horcajad-as AL, Lopez-Brasal L, Diaz-Candamio MJ. Osteoblasto-matosis: an unusual diagnosis and treatment. Skeletal Radiol. 2018; 47: 1183-1189.
- Chai JW, Hong SH, Choi JY, Koh YH, Lee JW, Choi JA, et al. Radiologic diagnosis of osteoid osteoma: from simple to challenging findings. Radiographics. 2010; 30: 737-749.
- Capodiferro S, Maiorano E, Giardina C, Lacaita MG, Lo Muzio L, Favia G. Osteoblastoma of the mandible: clinicopathologic study of four cases and literature review. Head Neck. 2005; 27: 616-621.
- Zhang Y, Rosenberg AE. Bone-Forming Tumors. Surg Pathol Clin. 2017; 10: 513-535.
- Pandiar D, P MS, Gulati S, Banyal VS, Kumar A. Benign osteoblastoma of maxilla: a case report emphasizing the histopathological differential diagnosis. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014; 8: Zd21-Zd23.
- McCarthy EF. Fibro-osseous lesions of the maxillofacial bones. Head Neck Pathol. 2013; 7: 5-10.